The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
I-miss-Wis

The Crawford Thread

Q just said in postgame that Crawford's injury does not appear to be serious. Looked like groin and hopefully not bad. But the Hawks need a contingency now as Raanta will be the #1. Konroyd said that Simpson will be called up as the #2 backup to Raanta.

Q just said in postgame that Crawford's injury does not appear to be serious. Looked like groin and hopefully not bad. But the Hawks need a contingency now as Raanta will be the #1. Konroyd said that Simpson will be called up as the #2 backup to Raanta.

that's good news, we'll need solid backup to Raanta ; )

Edited by Modry-Jazyk

got to think 2 weeks of rest to let it heal, at least.

Simpson hasnt looked too bad from what Ive seen of him in the Rockford games. Not as bad as Khabi has looked this season.

That's good news and I hope he recovers quickly. He's been so solid this year, but (silver lining) maybe this is a chance for him to get a needed rest and be fresh for the second half of the season.

Glad to hear that it is nothing serious, wasn't able to watch the game tonight but when I got the GameCenter alert about him leaving in the 1st with an injury I about crapped. As mentioned before hopefully if anything the rest will do him some good.

Edited by BucksNBlackhawks

Hope Crawford's injury isn't serious, but I am with Kelly Case of the NHL Channel, who believes that the Blackhawks need to shore up the crease in terms of personnel. Raanta is a good young goalie with a lot of potential, but he probably isn't yet ready to be the main guy if Crawford is on IR longer than expected. Nikolai Khabibulin has had a great career, but if his recent starts for the 'Hawks are any indication, he's washed up. Here's hoping that Stan Bowmen and his staff are working the phones in days to come to sign a veteran free-agent netminder... we may need him the way things are going. The team has been on a run of good luck, injury-wise, since the start of the 'Cup winning campaign last year - but that won't last forever.

Hope Crawford's injury isn't serious, but I am with Kelly Case of the NHL Channel, who believes that the Blackhawks need to shore up the crease in terms of personnel. Raanta is a good young goalie with a lot of potential, but he probably isn't yet ready to be the main guy if Crawford is on IR longer than expected. Nikolai Khabibulin has had a great career, but if his recent starts for the 'Hawks are any indication, he's washed up. Here's hoping that Stan Bowmen and his staff are working the phones in days to come to sign a veteran free-agent netminder... we may need him the way things are going. The team has been on a run of good luck, injury-wise, since the start of the 'Cup winning campaign last year - but that won't last forever.

I'd say Raanta looked more ready as Crawford looked in most of his games.Few mistakes like that pass to FLA player yesterday or bad positioning game before but still 2GA/G and I personally felt less nervous with Raanta than with shaky and/or sleeping Crawford in the net (I hope he just has Bickell's syndrome and.will start to play later in the season)

True, Raanta is young but he played at least two seasons in elite Finnish league, of course it's not NHL level but it's men league, not juniors.Gaining more experience for Raanta could be useful later in the season too, Hawks have good position, enough quality skaters and could eventually outplay/outscore any team in the league.

So finally, I don't think SB needs experimenting with another veteran goalie.It could be another fiasco like Chabibulin, bad message to (solid playing so far) Raanta and his confidence and I'd preferer developing Raanta with the team so or so.Give him chance and we will see if he's ready or not.

Edited by Modry-Jazyk
  • Upvote 1

Look for a deal to be made.

I was up all night thinking about the ramifications of potentially losing Crawford for substantial time -- 15-20 games say. (Actually, I was plowing snow and grading pit roads at da mine midnight shift!). Is there enough confidence to ride it out with a goalie who has minimal experience on NA ice as the starter? From what I've seen of Raanta, both in the preseason and these past few games, he has a lot of upside and could fill in as THE guy if it is only for two weeks or so.

However, if there is any chance that CC is sidelined for a longer stretch, one possibility I thought of was a deal with Philly. They have struggled all season but still are hanging around in the East. They did just lose Lecavalier for a number if weeks so maybe they might have interest in another center. They are spending a ton of money on their blue line already but here goes...

Pirri (not exactly Quenneville's favorite) and Rozsival (Kostka should be ready for a 6-7 dman role) for Emery and a second rounder. Similar to the Florida deal that brought Versteeg back to Chicago and allowed for Hayes and Olsen to get playing time in the NHL, a deal like this one could benefit both clubs. As good as Rozsival has been, there are guys in the system that should be replacing him IMO. Kostka, and Johns before the season is done, and Clendening next year. Pirri seems to be the logical choice to have earned a permanent spot as one of the top 4-5 centers on the Hawks but Q seems to think otherwise. Longer term, Danault and Teravainen may supplant him anyway. Emery was great last year and solid this season. He could fit right in again.

Obviously, the Hawks should be monitoring Crawford's injury, realizing he is their number one goalie for a long time. To rush him back, would be a poor idea. To go with Raanta and another farm hand might backfire big time. Weighing options in light of the Cap, it may behoove them to make a deal and go for another Cup run. Just a thought, anyways.

• Upvote 1

Raanta looks to possibly be the real deal here... real impressive play and start!! Sure hes young and needs work in the shootout area, but his play has been very solid and most impressive!!! If Crawford is out for two weeks... and I do hope that's ALL hes out if even that long, I think Raanta should get the experience he needs. Sure I would love to see Emery back as our backup, but I don't see that happening with the cap.

After Raanta got smacked in goal last night, I was wondering what would have happened if he had been injured seriously enough that he could not have continued with Crawford already out. What would they do, take time to dress Seabrook as a goalie?

This was everyone's fear around here, Crawford getting injured. I think Raanta has played well when called upon, however he will be the main guy for a few games now lets see how he handles the pressure. Im sure if the Hawks start losing due to goaltending Bowman will make a trade. Conference and standings to close to fall behind, to many teams have games in hand on the Hawks need to keep moving forward.

Sharp said that Shaw volunteered to be the emergency goalie since he gets hit by the puck all the time anyway.

If Crawford is out for a significant amount of time, the Hawks would have to get another goalie through a trade, and not via free agency. I don't think there's anybody available worth even taking a gamble on.

There are plenty of teams out there who are 2, even 3 goalies deep who would probably be willing to make a trade. But the biggest question would be what would the Hawks be willing to give up? Not to mention the cap ramifications.

Sharp said that Shaw volunteered to be the emergency goalie since he gets hit by the puck all the time anyway.

If Crawford is out for a significant amount of time, the Hawks would have to get another goalie through a trade, and not via free agency. I don't think there's anybody available worth even taking a gamble on.

There are plenty of teams out there who are 2, even 3 goalies deep who would probably be willing to make a trade. But the biggest question would be what would the Hawks be willing to give up? Not to mention the cap ramifications.

if CC is out longer, they might have to trade but some of the teams that have the above bolded luxury have either really crappy goaltenders (crappy as in, I'd rather start Simpson) or really good ones that will cost alot. no middle ground. but if youre looking to trade for a back-up to Raanta, why not just give Simpson a chance? unfortunately though, the hawks mgmt always undervalue (in comparison to this board standard) their prospects and always go out for vets.

what i've noticed is that the overall message board "way of running things" is totally not how the hawks mgmt run things

Raanta is currently a stop gap but I'm concerned about him assuming full time #1 duties even for 2 weeks. I think we know he can't play the shootout so we must win in regulation or OT with him in there. I also think he looks nervous and timid in net at times and that's worrisome. I don't know Simpson at all but a tandem of Raanta / Simpson does not bode well. I'm sure Stan is looking around - I would dangle Pirri as trade bait.

• Upvote 1

He has 4 games in his NHL career. He has every right be be a little timid and nervous. That will fade with experience. Same thing with shootouts.

• Upvote 3

He has 4 games in his NHL career. He has every right be be a little timid and nervous. That will fade with experience. Same thing with shootouts.

That's okay if he's the #2 guy but right now he's the #1 guy. On-the-job training is not something a championship team can afford at the goaltender position. If this was a rebuilding team I'd say fine but we're not - we're trying to repeat here. It's gonna depend on just how long Crawford will be out. It appears it was groin related but a minor groin pull can quickly become a major injury if rushed back too soon. I feel confident that Stan will be working the phones - have to have a contingency here.

His on the job training certainly isn't hurting the hawks right now. I'd rather the hawks go after a low cost veteran to back up Raanta rather than trade a solid prospect for a stop gap goalie to start for a month and who wouldn't even be on the team next year.

• Upvote 1

His on the job training certainly isn't hurting the hawks right now. I'd rather the hawks go after a low cost veteran to back up Raanta rather than trade a solid prospect for a stop gap goalie to start for a month and who wouldn't even be on the team next year.

All of Raants's games to this point have been as the #2 goalie and I agree he hasn't hurt the Hawks. But now he's the #1 and those things we could overlook as the #2 we cannot as the #1. I'm fine with a rent-a-player - the conference is tight and we don't want to get on a losing streak cause we don't have adequate protection between the pipes. Edited by I-miss-Wis

I'd say Raanta looked more ready as Crawford looked in most of his games.Few mistakes like that pass to FLA player yesterday or bad positioning game before but still 2GA/G and I personally felt less nervous with Raanta than with shaky and/or sleeping Crawford in the net (I hope he just has Bickell's syndrome and.will start to play later in the season)

True, Raanta is young but he played at least two seasons in elite Finnish league, of course it's not NHL level but it's men league, not juniors.Gaining more experience for Raanta could be useful later in the season too, Hawks have good position, enough quality skaters and could eventually outplay/outscore any team in the league.

So finally, I don't think SB needs experimenting with another veteran goalie.It could be another fiasco like Chabibulin, bad message to (solid playing so far) Raanta and his confidence and I'd preferer developing Raanta with the team so or so.Give him chance and we will see if he's ready or not.

Agree withnyou for the most part but Raanta looked awfully shaky in the shootout the other night.

If this is a 2 week or less injury there's no reason to pick up another goalie. With the rate the Hawks score goals they can over-come bad goaltending if Raanta/Simpson falter.

If it's longer than 2 weeks, I still think I'd stick with my guns and see how the goaltending holds up for about 5 games, and then make a decision.

I'm sure Stan has already put feelers out to other GMs to get the ball rolling.