Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hawksfansince9thbday

Kind Of Offended By This Nhl.com Headline

84 posts in this topic

"...and then LOST a game..."

That always gets me about these three-point games. Nobody LOST the game. One team won the game. The other team essentially TIED the game! It was essentially a TIE for one of the teams and a WIN for the other.

I vividly recall in the "old days" when they simply had ties and both teams received just a point. You also had what was called "unbeaten streaks" in which a team had wins and ties within that streak. Well, now we "LOST the game" so how now can we have a "unbeaten streak"?

Moreover, it used to be that a tie was like "kissing your sister." Actually, if it was a hard-fought affair, often times there was more satisfaction than that. Now, there is less satisfaction than "kissing your sister" in part because you "LOST the game." Nobody lost the game! There is no "L" in the standings for that game, nor should there be.

Jeesh!

Exactly !

They should get rid of the shootout, I don`t even need an ot in the regular season.

That always gets me about these three-point games. Nobody LOST the game. One team won the game. The other team essentially TIED the game! It was essentially a TIE for one of the teams and a WIN for the other.

I vividly recall in the "old days" when they simply had ties and both teams received just a point. You also had what was called "unbeaten streaks" in which a team had wins and ties within that streak. Well, now we "LOST the game" so how now can we have a "unbeaten streak"?

Moreover, it used to be that a tie was like "kissing your sister." Actually, if it was a hard-fought affair, often times there was more satisfaction than that. Now, there is less satisfaction than "kissing your sister" in part because you "LOST the game." Nobody lost the game! There is no "L" in the standings for that game, nor should there be.

Jeesh!

The possibility of a tie made the watching of non-Hawk games much more interesting. One at least could root for a tie which would help the fan's team of choice. Now one must hope for any result but a tie... I miss being able to say "I hope they both lose" when asked who I'm rooting for. I've watched a lot fewer non-Hawk games than I did before the implementation of the shoot out's 3rd point.

Jeesh!

Actually Gig, there is a Loss in the standings credited as a SOL. Tis the unfortunate nature of having the shootouts included.

Actually Gig, there is a Loss in the standings credited as a SOL. Tis the unfortunate nature of having the shootouts included.

How fitting. lol

**** out of luck.

"Hatchet Job on Hawks Endorsed by Local J-School Grad"

Regards

N.

now this made me laugh!!! thanks, dude

O.K., another example to possibly support my point.

"Finally a blemish, slight at that, on the record of the Chicago Blackhawks. After chasing Minnesota Wild starter Josh Harding in the first period Wednesday night, the Blackhawks could not hold on to a one-goal lead and fell to the Wild 3-2 in a shootout."

-(taken from Scott Burnside, Cross Checks blog - title: "Need to know: Hawks lose, Yakupov scores", ESPN.com 1-31-13)

"Finally a blemish" suggests Burnside is relieved at this occurrence, even with the "slight at that" clarification.

Maybe I am over-sensitive about this subject. But I cannot help but find his choice of words to be at least odd for a national website article.

I have to agree with what some others have said here...i think you may be reading way too much into these statements.

I read that and take away what i presume to be exactly what the auther intended...weird start to the season, no camp to speak of, guys coming in days before season opener from all over the world...not to many expected a team to win their first 6 games-especially with 4 of them being on the road.

often times i'll laugh when a journalist writes/says something simply to elicit a response but very rarely do i allow them to get more of a reaction than that from me...

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 1, 2013 - COC Violations galore! · Report post

Says the guy who came in and commented on my topic post. If you don't like it, read other topics. I have not intruded on your topic, nor have I carried this into someone else's board. Examples have been provided by other posters that add to my point. You don't agree/like it, fine. Then you would be the one to move on in this case, no?

This is a discussion after all, is it not? I am trying to gain situational knowledge by embracing the basic elements of a discussion. I have postulated a topic; Others are responding with their views - for which I read, absorb, think about, and adjust or not adjust my viewpoint accordingly. I genuinely thank responders for participating, without dismissing their opinions, yet get crap from someone like you.

You know, not only have I met the real Stosh on multiple occasions, but have shared beers with the great man while discussing topics such as this. Suffice it to say, I believe he would be upset with your attitude and responses here. Please do me this favor: Change your member name, because how you are acting disgraces his legacy.

LOL, holy hell man, you're nuts.

:lol:

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 1, 2013 - COC Violations galore! · Report post

I am thinking he is a character that was created. No way possible this is a real person.

Ah yes, there it is. The eloquent response of a simple minded fool. You say I'm nuts, yet you took the time to return to this post just to get a word in. You sir are the definition on the term TROLL.

Enjoy time in your little wannabe basement bar. Yeah, the one that by the looks of the pictures you posted would indicate you built the day after the Hawks won the cup. Another bandwagon fan with nothing better to do, who also thinks he's an expert. I am sure your mother won't mind you having your "friends" over to play in her basement.

Ah yes, there it is. The eloquent response of a simple minded fool. You say I'm nuts, yet you took the time to return to this post just to get a word in. You sir are the definition on the term TROLL.

Enjoy time in your little wannabe basement bar. Yeah, the one that by the looks of the pictures you posted would indicate you built the day after the Hawks won the cup. Another bandwagon fan with nothing better to do, who also thinks he's an expert. I am sure your mother won't mind you having your "friends" over to play in her basement.

My friend let it go...you will not win this one...

No one will win this one. This thread has passed its best before date now and just descended into a cyber spat.

Regards

N.

I know I should stay outta this and I don't mean to offend but........

For someone who so easily takes ofense at articles and posts,you seem pretty quick to offend yourself. If somebody throws you a shot,have a little fun with it........you do have fun don't ya?

I truly wish I had captured the moment of me reading this on video. Thank God I wasn't drinking anything at the moment or I'd be sending you a bill to pay for a ruined monitor. Classic stuff big guy.

Not enough laughing emoticons to express the LOL'ing.

No one will win this one. This thread has passed its best before date now and just descended into a cyber spat.

Regards

N.

Ah come on Nuck, you know I TOTALLY won this. :lol:

What "this" is, I'm not sure, but this nut job has definitely lost, at most things in life.

Ah come on Nuck, you know I TOTALLY won this. :lol:

What "this" is, I'm not sure, but this nut job has definitely lost, at most things in life.

Okay, well look, if this is just going to be an insult-off, Hawksfansince got some points for slagging the "basement tavern".

If it had been me I would have stuck with just the basement theme and not tried to slag you for being a bandwagoner... The insult about looking like you made the tavern the day after the Hawks won the Cup would have been all right if you didn't have things in there like the Esposito poster and the Hull signed jersey. He should have just left it with some theme of you drinking alone in your basement.

You missed the opportunity to respond to his bandwagon allegation by accusing him of making his screen name when the Hawks won the cup, and that he should not post until he reaches his 13th birthday... You could have also attacked the bona fides of the made up sounding degree...

I would have also considered riffing on the outrageous headline theme.

Really, if we're going to have an internet pissing contest, at least make the insults an interesting read for the rest of us!

Regards

N.

Okay, well look, if this is just going to be an insult-off, Hawksfansince got some points for slagging the "basement tavern".

If it had been me I would have stuck with just the basement theme and not tried to slag you for being a bandwagoner... The insult about looking like you made the tavern the day after the Hawks won the Cup would have been all right if you didn't have things in there like the Esposito poster and the Hull signed jersey. He should have just left it with some theme of you drinking alone in your basement.

You missed the opportunity to respond to his bandwagon allegation by accusing him of making his screen name when the Hawks won the cup, and that he should not post until he reaches his 13th birthday... You could have also attacked the bona fides of the made up sounding degree...

I would have also considered riffing on the outrageous headline theme.

Really, if we're going to have an internet pissing contest, at least make the insults an interesting read for the rest of us!

Regards

N.

You are wise my friend.

In my defense, I refrained from insults and just stuck with facts attempting to avoid this thread receiving the LOCK.

There are far too many places I could go in ripping this nut job, but took the high road. BIB has mentored me, and I feel as though I've grown. ;)

Good advice Rob. Will do.

I suppose it is futile to attempt an intellectual discussion with someone like Stosh-1 who is below my level.

Consider this post/discussion closed from my end.

A genuine thank you to all who provided insight.

PS - Nuckluck: Not cool man. I didn't attack your profession or hard earned achievements in life. To suggest mine are made up is not called for.

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 1, 2013 - More COC Violation · Report post

Good advice Rob. Will do. Right after I take another ignorant jab at the guy who made me look like a fool.

I suppose it is futile to attempt an intellectual discussion with someone like Stosh-1 who is below my level.

FTFY

:lol: Below your level. Jealousy's a b*tch ain't it Birthday Boy?

Sorry for making you mad. Untwist the panties.

PS - Nuckluck: Not cool man. I didn't attack your profession or hard earned achievements in life. To suggest mine are made up is not called for.

"Random online Hawk fan offended by comment made by random online Canucks fan, random details to follow!"

Sorry, Hawksfansince9thbday, I was just having fun with everyone who had posted in this thread. That's kinda my thing.

Attacking my profession would be hard, since who doesn't love a donut maker. I'll make it up to you next time you're in the Lower Mainland. Your choice of sprinkled, glazed or filled.

Similarly, while I appreciate you not attacking my life achievements, it may have been hard for you to do so, since after all, I am a Canucks fan. So unless you're going to criticize my rioting skillz, trolling efforts, or conspiracy theory creativity, there is not much for you to work with.

Nevertheless, if you want to slag me -- have at 'er, about anything you like! Do you think anyone has a thicker skin than a Canucks fan on a Hawks forum?

Regards

N.

"Random online Hawk fan offended by comment made by random online Canucks fan, random details to follow!"

Sorry, Hawksfansince9thbday, I was just having fun with everyone who had posted in this thread. That's kinda my thing.

Attacking my profession would be hard, since who doesn't love a donut maker. I'll make it up to you next time you're in the Lower Mainland. Your choice of sprinkled, glazed or filled.

Similarly, while I appreciate you not attacking my life achievements, it may have been hard for you to do so, since after all, I am a Canucks fan. So unless you're going to criticize my rioting skillz, trolling efforts, or conspiracy theory creativity, there is not much for you to work with.

Nevertheless, if you want to slag me -- have at 'er, about anything you like! Do you think anyone has a thicker skin than a Canucks fan on a Hawks forum?

Regards

N.

My mom, who's basement I live in, buys me donuts when I make my bed for 7 days straight. Sadly, that's only happened twice. How do your donuts compare to Dunkin?

My mom, who's basement I live in, buys me donuts when I make my bed for 7 days straight. Sadly, that's only happened twice. How do your donuts compare to Dunkin?

How are the donuts? C'mon, I'm Canadian. Well okay, I'm an American living in Canada. Donuts here are second only to hockey. When the coaches saw I couldn't skate backwards, it was off to the Timmy Horton's for me. In other words, the donuts are friggen excellent -- all except for the Boston Creme... don't get me started... So, get your chores done!

Regards

N.