The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amonte78

Goal Celebration

amonte78    232

Just watched Coach's Corner and Don Cherry had a nice rant about Yakupov's goal celebration.Waddya guys think about this? Is it OK? Is it emberassing the other team/goalie? Should LA make a run at Yakupov the next time they meet?

I agree with Don, it's embarrasing for the other team and it's hockey, not soccer!

(topic starts around 5:30)

blkhwks918    1,906

Grapes is being "sour grapes" for exactly the reason BITB stated. Where is his outrage over this???

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S-PfM2JuTKI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DS-PfM2JuTKI

Oh wait that guy is Canadian, so it's OK, but the Russian does it......well, that's the end of modern hockey as we know it.

Big-T    6,628

Actually. Grapes rips anyone for that type of celebration. Even Theo Fleury.

What most fail to realize or are just plain ignorant. Grapes is from an era when the Ruskies were communists. And the USA and to some extent Canada was at ultimate odds with them.

It's only been 20 years since Soviet Russia fell. And Grapes was already in his mid fifties by that time. So it was safe to say he was already set in his ways.

If you don't like him. Don't pay attention.

Personally. I don't care for that over celebration. It doesn't bug me that much. But once is enough. I over celebrated once. And took a horrible dirty hit later on. I barely celebrated after goals after that. Just a simple high 5 and put your head down and act like you've done it before. And you'll do it again!!!

amonte78    232

And seriously.......did you ask if LA should run a Yakupov for that? That's ridiculous.

I didn't, Don made a comment about that

McMurrayHawkFan    1,082

He's a bit of a show boat to start with. Amazing talent, 19 years old, likes attention? So what? Have fun, personality is a good thing in a league trying to repair itself. If you don't like the celebration don't let him score. (plus he knocked the puck out of the air into the net with the shaft of his stick!)

As for grapes, he is more than a self promoting marketing character BIB, he is what he is and not for a dollar, but because that's who he is. You love him or hate him....like the lockout we all have our opinions.

Modry-Jazyk    4,121

Don just has it out for those whose last names ends with a "ov" and such. And like dlrob said, that was a big, big goal. High emotions when into that goal and that was the release of the rest of those emotions.

I agree with D.CH. "Yakupov acted like an idiot."

It was pathetic... it was completly unnatural and exaggerated and I guess Yakupov was practicing that exhibition long time before (at least in his mind),

It was a tad bit dramatic but i understand him being excited. I kinda felt he made himself look stupid personally but hey it's no big deal. The guys on his own bench were kinda laughing at him 2 after it to. He is a 19 year old kid and not that its a bad thing but it is kinda to be expected with Russians, did anyone watch the recent WJC ? Almost every goal the Russian kids were acting like OV lol

EbonyRaptor    5,127

I understand the old school thinking about not showboating - I'm no spring chicken myself, but the irony is not lost on me that a guy who dresses like Cherry is accusing someone of showboating.

NIEMIFOREVER    439

Cherry's response has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Yakupov is Russian. He has always hated excessive celebrations regardless of who the player is or their nationality. He has criticized Crosby countless times including when he scored his lacrosse style goal while playing in the QMJHL, when he was 16. In fact, Cherry not only criticized Crosby for celebrating the way he did, but for even attempting the goal in the first place.

That being said though I don't think there was truly anything wrong with Yakupov's celebration, especially considering the significance of the goal both for him and his team, even more so when considering the goal which was disallowed a minute earlier for the supposedly unreviewable goalie interference call.

hllywd99    2,603

Don Cherry = Brian Burke, there both loud mouth buffoons!

Cherry just loves to wave the Canadian flag in front of all his rants.

hsbob    6,722

It was a bit over-the top but so what,the kid's 19,let him enjoy the game and that was a BIG goal! If someone took exception with it,I'm sure they'll let him know but I'm not too sure that's how the game goes any more.

muskpuck10    330

Thanks Amonte for posting Coaches Corner I missed it this week and really get a kick out of the show. One thing about Cherry he would be harder on a player if they were Canadian.

Hey, I don't hate the celebration thing, but it's the NHL not the NFL. It's a respect thing and if a player wants to do some staged show boat thing that's OK with me. It's also OK with me the next time they play LA someone will remind him in a kind and gentle way that show boating is not part of hockey etiquette. Hopefully after peeling himself off the boards he will understand the lesson and next time take it down a couple of notches after he scores a goal.

kwolf68    1,276

I've heard Cherry rip Russian players for not having passion and emotion in their game, then a Russian KID losses it because he's so excited and he rips him for that.

I for one don't care much for the celebration, but it's a breath of fresh air that Russian players are showing this kind of 'care' about having success in the NHL. You have to take the good with the bad.

amonte78    232

Thanks Amonte for posting Coaches Corner I missed it this week and really get a kick out of the show. One thing about Cherry he would be harder on a player if they were Canadian.

You're welcome, I love CC as well B)

Drewsky    1,312

He scored a big goal in a hockey game...celebrate. Sure they're professionals, but they're also playing a game and putting on a show for the fans. Celebrate big goals. I'll never forget Hossa sliding across the ice after potting the GWG in Game 5. And if your LA don't be mad he celebrated, be mad that you let him tie the game with 5 seconds left.