Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GigECJ

Cc May Become An Acquired Taste

54 posts in this topic

Very nice to see. I know we all had fun with various trade scenarios where we get an upgrade over Crawford. But the best case scenario has always been that Crawford returns to his 2010/2011 form or better. It's only been 5 games but the early returns are good and I hope this keeps up.

I think CC has things figured out now. He seems to have left his slump from last year behind him, is more focused now, and doesn't let things get in his head much. I hope he keeps it up all season!

As Konroyd said after the game last night, if Crawford has a .933 save % this year the Hawks are going to be in real good shape. I like what I've seen so far, huge improvement over last year.

A combination of factors have helped with the results thus far, but I think all in all even if you don't annoint Crawford into the Vezina ranks (and really, you shouldn't), everything looks good from hereon out:

1) Crawford, by my eye-test, has only allowed 1 bad goal--the aforementioned 5-hole that squirted through his pads. Since that game (where another was saved by Keith), her's been very good about 5-hole shots (Franzen's point-blank shot that seems to deflect off Keith's skate notwithstanding). All of the other goals, had he made, them, would have had this board collectively looking for a new pair of BVD's. In fact, the major knocks on him the season, in subsequent games, he's corrected.

2) Anytime a goaltender has to steal a game, it means 1 of 2 things: (1) the opposing team is just so far ahead of you in skill, effort, and determination that your offense and defense don't have much hope of getting the job done (and you deserve to lose), or (2), the team D has collectively crapped the bed (and you deserve to lose). This year more often than not on a blackhawks giveaway in the zone or at the blueline, Crawford has stood tall. Conversely the defense has also bailed Crawford out in a couple of moments, but has also played collectively better.

All in all top-to-bottom this team has more poise, more refinement, and more chemistry. Instead of looking at it as Crawford vs Team D, It seems like they're all working together and got each other's backs. This is not a bad thing.

The real test will come against teams like SJ who are as-hot as us, and how we bounce back after a loss. Still, as yet we're winning and Crawford has been an integral part of it. There's no disputing that.