Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arnold_snarb

25% Surcharge On Ticketexchange Now? For Shame!

55 posts in this topic

in another thread i was told $24. But $4 is not that much of a difference.

What are you talking about, thats like 1/2 a beer a game price difference :D

25% is a huge fee to be tacked on at the end of the sale. I might just start buying from scalpers, you guys at least give a straightforward number of how much you're going to f*** me first. If I see a ticket for $100 on TE and then find my final price to be $135ish (there are other fees in there too other than the 25% we're ripping you off charge), I'd probably back out.

What are you talking about, thats like 1/2 a beer a game price difference :D

when you can sell that ticket for $124, it's not much of a difference AT ALL.

25% is a huge fee to be tacked on at the end of the sale. I might just start buying from scalpers, you guys at least give a straightforward number of how much you're going to f*** me first. If I see a ticket for $100 on TE and then find my final price to be $135ish (there are other fees in there too other than the 25% we're ripping you off charge), I'd probably back out.

stubhub charges 10% fee to the buyer. much more palpable. even if the sellers raise prices to compensate for the 15% they are getting charged.

As a person who gets most of his tickets from StubHub and (formerly) TE, let me give you my perspective. I set a rule that I'll pay no more than 25% of what I would have paid for the same ticket if I'd bought from TicketMaster. Since about 1998 through last season I bought most of my tickets through TE. I liked the fact that my price was a flat $5 "reissue" fee on top of the listed price. I could usually find tickets in the $70-80 range, so my final price was $75-85 on average. I wasn't thrilled paying that much for a ticket, but I could swing it. Now, sellers are still asking the same amount (let's say $80), but my price is now $100 rather than $85. I won't pay that much. And as I-Miss-Wis points out, many buyers won't pay that much. Sellers may think they're getting the longer end of the stick, but there's no stick when the buyers disappear. Keep that in mind.

This is all about perception. Last year if I wanted $100 I would have to list for $111.11 (and ticketbaster kept 10% or $11.11) then the buyer paid 15% on top of my listed $111.11 so the buyer paid $127.78 and I received $100.00. Now the buyer pays $125 and I get $100....I must be missing something. Have not sold anything yet so have not spent a bunch of time looking at the whole picture.

This is all about perception. Last year if I wanted $100 I would have to list for $111.11 (and ticketbaster kept 10% or $11.11) then the buyer paid 15% on top of my listed $111.11 so the buyer paid $127.78 and I received $100.00. Now the buyer pays $125 and I get $100....I must be missing something. Have not sold anything yet so have not spent a bunch of time looking at the whole picture.

Last year when I would buy from TE there would only be a $5 reissue fee, no markup on the cost that was listed. So if you listed for $111.11 I would have paid $116.11 (but I wouldn't have paid that unless it was a 200 section seat). :)

But now if you list for $100 I pay $125. I'm typically buying 4 tickets, so these differences add up quickly. Well, I used to buy 4 tickets, now I buy none. The system has priced me out. No way would I pay nearly $500 to take my family to a game and sit in the nosebleeds.

The biggest difference this year is that the buyer actually sees the fees, but the fees (25%) are less than years past (10% from the seller and an additional 20% mark up from the seller's stated price for a total of 30%). Last year I would put a price in of $200 but what the buyer saw was a price of $240 each and then they took the $20 each from me if they sold. They are making 5% less this year, but there were no surprises to the buyer in the past, so you see it is all about perception.

The only difference I see is that the buyer is paying full boat on the service fee. When i posted a ticket for $100 it posted as $115(15%) that's what the buyer pays but I only got $90 (10%). So now the buyer gets socked with the full 25%.

Yeah, it's frustrating to the buyer who previously used ticket exchange in past years, and was used to their 5 dollar reissue fee. I about choked when I thought the tickets that were 125 a piece were going to cost an extra 100 dollars in fees when I was at the checkout screen. Therefore I will search elsewhere. Where have the college days gone 10 years ago, when I would get my 15 dollar ticket for the 8 dollar student price and go sit in the 40 dollar seats? I can't complain too much, because I never thought we would ever get a winning product on the ice again with dollar Bill running the franchise (into the ground). Now the prices are are on par with my season tickets for the Flyers when I lived out east for 4 years.

Last year when I would buy from TE there would only be a $5 reissue fee, no markup on the cost that was listed. So if you listed for $111.11 I would have paid $116.11 (but I wouldn't have paid that unless it was a 200 section seat). :)

No, you would have paid 127.78 +$5 = 132.78 if he would have listed for $111.11 so he could get his $100.

stubhub charges 10% fee to the buyer. much more palpable. even if the sellers raise prices to compensate for the 15% they are getting charged.

umm no, the buyer is paying for it. We just add the fees to the price we charge. We are no different than a corporation that passes along rising costs to the end consumer. Raise taxes on a corporation? They pass it down to the consumer in the form of higher prices for their products. Same economics apply here to tickets.

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 19, 2013 - Belgerant posts · Report post

umm no, the buyer is paying for it. We just add the fees to the price we charge. We are no different than a corporation that passes along rising costs to the end consumer. Raise taxes on a corporation? They pass it down to the consumer in the form of higher prices for their products. Same economics apply here to tickets.

You're plenty different from a corporation. You have a job that requires zero skill because you're too incompetent to have a real career.

You're "umm no" type response shows what an egotistical trash can you are. I've never come across someone as pathetic as you, who thinks they're better than everyone else. It's honestly sad and embarrassing.

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 19, 2013 - Belgerant posts · Report post

It is also quite entertaining to see you get yourself all worked up. I find it funny that you follow me all over the board just so you can drop in and give another name calling rant to make yourself feel better. I continue to laugh at you as I'm sure others are doing.

I never understood the vitriol against ticket scalpers.

They're not robbing people.

Just because your a fan doesn't mean you should have access to low-priced tickets.

It's not price gouging....It's supply and demand.

Agreed Puckjjm - it's simple economics and really nothing different than what people do on ebay each day - that is price their item to sell at the highest possible price. If there is no demand at the asking price the seller lowers the price. And if the seller has multiple items and demand is high, then the seller raises the price. Capitalism at its finest.

The biggest argument of the anti-broker crowd is that we're ripping people off - but factually that's not correct. Ripping someone off would be if I sold tickets, took their money, and the tickets turned out to be fraudulent and the buyer couldn't enter the game. This is obviously not what we do. We clearly advertise the game we have for sale and at the price the buyer can buy it for. It is the buyer's CHOICE to pay that price or not. No one is forcing the buyer to pay our prices. And let's not kid ourselves, even if every broker fell over dead tomorrow (Stosh can only dream), the diehard "fans" would still not get tickets at face value. That's because all the other fans would be fighting over each other to buy up as many extras as possible at face value to resell them.

Remember when Tickle Me Elmo came out in 1996? Demand was so high that people were selling this $7 stuffed animal for $1000. And it didn't involve ticket brokers, rather just the public and astute people who realized they could make some money on the hot item. Same thing with the Cabbage Patch craze in 1983. Over time the laws of economics continue to hold true. Ticket brokers are just an easy target and an excuse for some people to blame their own financial woes on.

The thing is, season tickets were readily available for the 2009 season.

And they were cheap...like $550 each.

Want to blame someone for you not being able to buy tickets at a reasonable price?

Look in the mirror.

It is also quite entertaining to see you get yourself all worked up. I find it funny that you follow me all over the board just so you can drop in and give another name calling rant to make yourself feel better. I continue to laugh at you as I'm sure others are doing.

:( You laugh at me?

LOL, you're a pathetic infant. I don't "follow" you. I read ignorant crap and 9 times out of 10 it's your ugly ass av to the left.

I have no problem getting tickets. I'll be sitting 5 rows from the glass tonight and didn't pay a dime. The point is, you have a job that involves zero talent, and is respected about as highly as a pimp.

Any reason demand is so high for 3/10 Oilers game? Buddy just sold his pair in the 100's for $600

Payment info

Your price $300.00 Quantity x 2 Total sale $600.00 Commission - $90.00 Your payment $510.00

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Any reason demand is so high for 3/10 Oilers game? Buddy just sold his pair in the 100's for $600

It's because this game is the Green Hat day which is the most popular promotion, second would be the bobbleheads. Green hat day is always one of our most profitable - I find it odd that people pay such a high premium just to get a green hat but they do. This game will have one of the highest markups due to demand.

Posted · Hidden by Biscuit_In_The_Basket, February 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

In that case 4/4 and 4/12 should do very nicely. Toews and Kane bobbleheads

In that case 4/4 and 4/12 should do very nicely. Toews and Kane bobbleheads

Yes, all the bobblehead games do great. But 4/12 will be where the big money is. It's a Sunday game, in the spring time (warmer weather), we're playing Detroit, and a bobblehead is the giveaway. You can ask the highest prices possible for that game and get it. Right now we're doing about 5x-6x face for that game.

It's because it's green hat day which is always the most popular promotion, even ahead of bobbleheads.

As a person who gets most of his tickets from StubHub and (formerly) TE, let me give you my perspective. I set a rule that I'll pay no more than 25% of what I would have paid for the same ticket if I'd bought from TicketMaster. Since about 1998 through last season I bought most of my tickets through TE. I liked the fact that my price was a flat $5 "reissue" fee on top of the listed price. I could usually find tickets in the $70-80 range, so my final price was $75-85 on average. I wasn't thrilled paying that much for a ticket, but I could swing it. Now, sellers are still asking the same amount (let's say $80), but my price is now $100 rather than $85. I won't pay that much. And as I-Miss-Wis points out, many buyers won't pay that much. Sellers may think they're getting the longer end of the stick, but there's no stick when the buyers disappear. Keep that in mind.

sellers SHOULD have fees. sites like stubhub and TE are providing a service to a seller. for TE to push the fess directly on the buyer is sad.

the seller got charged 15% of his list price(i post at $100, i get $85 when it sold). TE would make the ticket price for the buyer $110(10% fee added to upfront cost). and then you got the $5 re-issue fee.

now, I would get $100 for my ticket, and the buyer pays $25 per ticket in fees.