Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HawkeyLife07

Bolland Likely To Play 2nd Line Centre

65 posts in this topic

Ben Smith is injured, so for now anyways, he is a no go. Hayes was called up the other day, so it's possible we see him at some point during the season. I would love to see Beach center that 3rd line, he is one tough guy!

I like Beach also. He has some skills but can really get under the other team's skin as well. Instead of being tough only in the sense of being able to take punishment, he isnt afraid to instigate. He plays a similar style of game that Shaw does.

When half of your forwards consist of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, and Stalberg, the team can use as many guys like Beach and Shaw in the remaining forwards spots as it can get IMO, not guys like Frolik and Kruger.

Not that Kruger and Frolik are bad players, but in filling out the rest of the forwards based on what you have in the top 6, they dont provide what the team needs.

I think a lot of people against the idea of Super Dave Bolland moving to #2C think that way not because we don't think he can't play as a #2C, but more because there's no one who can really fill the gap he leaves.

Kruger may be able to do it, but I'm not getting that vibe. We'll see though.

I think a lot of people against the idea of Super Dave Bolland moving to #2C think that way not because we don't think he can't play as a #2C, but more because there's no one who can really fill the gap he leaves.

exactly ... anyway, I would try it .... and you know Q, opening night lines may last for 20 minutes.

exactly ... anyway, I would try it .... and you know Q, opening night lines may last for 20 minutes.

Q gets questioned a lot for his constant line changing but there probably is a reason for it. During the SC run, he changed lines a lot less than he does now because he had better chemistry to work with and players who he knew what role they filled. This team has a lot of questions marks in the forward position and his constant line changing is because he is always trying to find the right place for certain guys to play.

a ) no true 2nd line center, so that is a constant experiment and causes a lot of juggling on the top two lines. If he puts Bolland there, that creates a hole on the 3rd line and probably will cause more experimenting.

b ) Frolik - what is he? a top 2 line scorer? If not, then he is a finesse guy on the 3rd or 4th line?

c ) most of the guys on the top 2 lines are finesse guys, what does he do about that? leave them soft, or try putting guys like Carcillo and Shaw there to add more balance? If he adds both of those guys to the top 2, then what the heck does he do with Stalberg?

d ) what to do with Kruger? if he isnt strong enough or good enough in the faceoff circle to center the 3rd line, then what does he do with him? try him at 2nd line center? Put him on the 4th line, where he clearly doesnt belong either?

I guess I agree that he could be a little more patient before making his changes to see if guys will gel in the lines he has them in, but I totally understand why he makes as many changes as he does.

I think it might have been mentioned here or elsewhere that this year may be "testing" Kruger and Bolland.

If Bolland can play 2nd line Center, he'll likley stick with us

If Kruger can play 3rd line center with enough ability to be menioned in the same paragraph as Bolland, he'll likley sitck around.

If Kruger can't get the job done as #3C, he'll be gone.

If Bolland can't get the job done as #2C, and Kruger can't get the job done as #3C, Bolland stays and Kruger goes.

If Bolland can't be a #2 and Kruger can be a #3, it's likley we'll be looking at Kruger as a long-term #3C inexpensive option and use Bolland as trade-bait (as much as I'd hate to see Bolland go.)

I should be interesting going forward at least. I personally hope they both can do it so then our center needs fall to just #4

Either way you look at it, the hawks need another center at this point. Hopefully Kruger will step into that role this year so Kane doesn't get moved back. Whatever lines they go with on saturday, they will be different in a span of two weeks anyway.

I think it might have been mentioned here or elsewhere that this year may be "testing" Kruger and Bolland.

If Bolland can play 2nd line Center, he'll likley stick with us

If Kruger can play 3rd line center with enough ability to be menioned in the same paragraph as Bolland, he'll likley sitck around.

If Kruger can't get the job done as #3C, he'll be gone.

If Bolland can't get the job done as #2C, and Kruger can't get the job done as #3C, Bolland stays and Kruger goes.

If Bolland can't be a #2 and Kruger can be a #3, it's likley we'll be looking at Kruger as a long-term #3C inexpensive option and use Bolland as trade-bait (as much as I'd hate to see Bolland go.)

I should be interesting going forward at least. I personally hope they both can do it so then our center needs fall to just #4

good analysis.This Bolland/Kruger situation, Corey's consistency and Leddy's defense performance will be things to watch soon.

Precisely. He leaves a defensive gap on his usual line but he certainly has the skillset to play the #2 center. With him, Sharpie & Kaner on the line you'll have some of your best eyes & hands guys at forward. Should be lots of creativity and speed there.

Kruger is a defensive center.... either Bolland takes the 2C role and runs with it.. or its bye bye Bolland... too much $$ for a 3rd line center.

Kruger is a defensive center.... either Bolland takes the 2C role and runs with it.. or its bye bye Bolland... too much $$ for a 3rd line center.

Since when is 3.375 too much for a top flight 2-way center?

I like Beach also. He has some skills but can really get under the other team's skin as well. Instead of being tough only in the sense of being able to take punishment, he isnt afraid to instigate. He plays a similar style of game that Shaw does.

When half of your forwards consist of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, and Stalberg, the team can use as many guys like Beach and Shaw in the remaining forwards spots as it can get IMO, not guys like Frolik and Kruger.

Not that Kruger and Frolik are bad players, but in filling out the rest of the forwards based on what you have in the top 6, they dont provide what the team needs.

That's exactly right. The hawks need guys on the top lines who can instigate and play. This is what you see on other playoff caliber teams. Hopefully Q gets it this year at some point and mixes in Carcillo and another tough minded player with some skills into the top forward spots.

That's exactly right. The hawks need guys on the top lines who can instigate and play. This is what you see on other playoff caliber teams. Hopefully Q gets it this year at some point and mixes in Carcillo and another tough minded player with some skills into the top forward spots.

For now, it looks as if Carcillo will be playing on the top line with Toews and Hossa. We'll see how long it lasts but its a good start IMO.

10 minutes to hockey, GO HAWKS!!!!

It's been interesting that Q for the most part has put Shaw at 3rd line center thus far and has Kruger on the 4th line. Kruger is a nice defensive player but in my opinion he is too small to play the other guy's best line every night and it appears the coaching staff agrees. Plus Kruger has shown near zero offensive ability at the NHL level.

However, let's see if the coaching staff changes their tune when Datsyuk, Parise or the Sedins are the opponent. Shaw definitely has the instigator gene that Bolland has used so effectively over the years to annoy the top lines.

Ahhhh.....so nice to be talking Blackhawks hockey again.

Q gets questioned a lot for his constant line changing but there probably is a reason for it. During the SC run, he changed lines a lot less than he does now because he had better chemistry to work with and players who he knew what role they filled. This team has a lot of questions marks in the forward position and his constant line changing is because he is always trying to find the right place for certain guys to play.

a ) no true 2nd line center, so that is a constant experiment and causes a lot of juggling on the top two lines. If he puts Bolland there, that creates a hole on the 3rd line and probably will cause more experimenting.

b ) Frolik - what is he? a top 2 line scorer? If not, then he is a finesse guy on the 3rd or 4th line?

c ) most of the guys on the top 2 lines are finesse guys, what does he do about that? leave them soft, or try putting guys like Carcillo and Shaw there to add more balance? If he adds both of those guys to the top 2, then what the heck does he do with Stalberg?

d ) what to do with Kruger? if he isnt strong enough or good enough in the faceoff circle to center the 3rd line, then what does he do with him? try him at 2nd line center? Put him on the 4th line, where he clearly doesnt belong either?

I guess I agree that he could be a little more patient before making his changes to see if guys will gel in the lines he has them in, but I totally understand why he makes as many changes as he does.

You absolutely nailed it. 2nd line "natural center" is not the only problem we have. There are some great pieces, but there are couple that don't match the board.

I have to admit the 2nd line has worked thus far, but still, 3rd & 4th lines win championships, they are crucial.