The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIackhawks

Lockout's Big Downside For The Hawks

BIackhawks    142

I have been wanting to start this topic for a while but I was hoping that the season would have started by now and I just avoid the whole thing but I guess with the season on the verge of cancellation I just wanted to see what implications this will have.

Now there has been talks that the salary cap is going to drop quite a bit next year to $60 Million which is what the Hawks have committed to the players already signed for that year which are not even enough to ice a full roster, this means that the Hawks are going to lose their depth players yet again because some important depth players are due for a raise and lets see who they are:

Bryan Bickel - Decent depth, 15-20 goals a year which will boost his contract to 2.5 M minimum, this guy is gone

Victor Stalberg - I was hoping to see him this year as I had high hopes for him reaching the 30 goal mark, will need 3.5M+ minimum to keep

Leddy - It would really suck to lose him as well, even though he is restricted, the kid is going to request minimum 3.5 M and that is even a long shot with his point totals, and I dont think he is worth that at the moment due to his defensive liabilities

Now lets hope the Hawks can manage to get rid of Oduya, Montador and maybe Frolik and get these guys locked up which would be the best scenario in my books and lets say this problem is solved. Dont forget that every one on this team is going to lose a year off their contracts and that goes for Kane, Toews, Boland, the list goes on. But where it hurts more is guys like Shaw and Hayes showing some promise and giving the Hawks the needed depth it would have been nicer to have them for two years instead of one and possibly gone after that.

I guess my point is that the Hawks this year are much deeper than they will be in the next three. This team although not as deep is in a similar situation as the Hawks cup winning team and after this year there will be another slight rebuilding slump such as witnessed the past two years. I think the Hawks will be very unlucky if there is no NHL season especially with other team's somewhat decline in the division. I truly believe this was/is going to be a big year for the Hawks and if they cant win the cup this year then I really doubt its in the radar the next 2-3 years after that.

Babinich    1,643

I guess my point is that the Hawks this year are much deeper than the Hawks will be in the next three.

The organization is deep so as a team they'll be just fine.

A lockout this year must lead to a total purge of the current system. There have been too any people hurt to let this incompetence continue.

Babinich    1,643
Posted · Hidden by HawkMod, December 11, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by HawkMod, December 11, 2012 - No reason given

Tomc8481    2,159

According to capgeek, the following players are RFA/UFA for next season:

RFA:

Kruger

Leddy

UFA:

Stalberg

Mayers

Bickell

Rozsival

Emery

Which of those players do you think is going to make or break the team, or not have a replacement in Rockford ready to step in?

rinkrat21    1,660

According to capgeek, the following players are RFA/UFA for next season:

RFA:

Kruger

Leddy

UFA:

Stalberg

Mayers

Bickell

Rozsival

Emery

Which of those players do you think is going to make or break the team, or not have a replacement in Rockford ready to step in?

I agree, all of those guys can probably be replaced without much of a negative impact, and potentially a positive impact.

BHawksFan40    46

• I am certainly not saying that any of those players would make or break the team, but Stalberg does have something that cannot easily be replaced by someone in Rockford. He has good size and skills while also having freakish speed. Speed is something that canot be taught and should not be overlooked in its importance. If he had absolute stone for hands, that would be one thing - but he does not.

rinkrat21    1,660
  • I am certainly not saying that any of those players would make or break the team, but Stalberg does have something that cannot easily be replaced by someone in Rockford. He has good size and skills while also having freakish speed. Speed is something that canot be taught and should not be overlooked in its importance. If he had absolute stone for hands, that would be one thing - but he does not.

Yeah, but he lacks what the top two lines already lack in a big way - grit. Arguably the softest top 2 lines in the NHL right now. I personally would trade Stalberg's speed for someone who isnt afraid to finish a check, muck it up along the boards when necessary, and stand in front of the net screening the goalie and looking for rebounds.

Thats why Carcillo played so much on the top 2 lines before he got hurt, because he brings what those two lines are missing, Stalberg doesnt. He's a nice player and all, but doesnt provide much balance for what Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp already bring.

If everyone thinks he is in the 3.5-4 mil a year range, I would rather see the Hawks spend that money on more of a power forward type than yet another finesse guy.

FanaticusKrank    225

You have to think if the salary cap drops the actual salaries will drop as well. So I don't believe the issue will be as big as you think it will be.

If anything I think the lockout so far might benefit the hawks. Look at all of the guys they have in rockford that will help in the long run.

EbonyRaptor    5,127

Trying to mine a positive out of the lockout debacle, I'll offer this - the Hawks concussion crew (Toews, Hossa, Bolland, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Montador) and have extra time to let the eggs unscramble.