Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I-miss-Wis

What To Do With Crawford

766 posts in this topic

We've had 7 goaltenders on this team in 4 years and sad to say we need another one. Priority #1 in the offseason IMO is to upgrade the goaltending. I thought by far this was our weakest point in the season. Look at the number of goals we allowed in the season. And Crawford MUST stop both those OT goals in games 3 and 4 - that was brutal. If we take one of those games this series goes to a game 7. In the playoffs you just cannot hand teams soft goals. So what do we do with Crawford? Can we trade him and to who? Should we waive him and eat his contract - the hit on the cap wouldn't be too bad. Or should we send him off like we did with Huet and pay him to play overseas. What tenders will be available this offseason? Lots to ponder but I really hope management sees that we need to improve this position.

Keep him and start him next season. There are many other areas with this team that need to be addressed before goaltending.

Get better defense around him.

This team needs a top-six centre, top-4 dman and a 4th line big centre

Unless you can get Schneider or Rask, then you gotta roll with Crow. The D in front is gonna have to be upgraded (especially a physical staple) for Crow to succeed...

Not sure why, but my thread on Crawford was deleted. I guess the powers that be won't tolerate criticism of their #1 Goalie??

I agree with the OP. Our goaltending situation was horrendous. I'm seen enough of "3-Goal Corey" giving up soft goals, blowing leads. The teams that are still in it have had exceptional goaltending. We don't have it. To me, it's the most glaring deficiency on this team and needs to be addressed

It's hard to really analyze what they should do first. You'd like to fix our D and get another centre and you'd like to think that Crawford will improve next year and we won't have to change our goaltending at all but I don't know if we should take that risk. If the Canucks actually let go of Schneider the Hawks would be absolutely insane to pass up an opportunity to grab him, or even just look into it. I think he's one of the most consistent solid goaltenders in the league and I definitely think he'd be able to bring us back to the Cup with a few more changes.

The controversy in Vancouver during the off-season is going to be damn interesting..

Unless you can get Schneider or Rask, then you gotta roll with Crow. The D in front is gonna have to be upgraded (especially a physical staple) for Crow to succeed...

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. Just don't grab a new goalie for the sake of grabbing a new goalie but if someone like Schneider pops up I don't think it would be wise to pass up on the opportunity. Otherwise, yes, I agree, We should probably stick with what we have.

If Stan has the opportunity to add a truly elite and proven goalie then I say go for it. But if the only options are a slight upgrade then I say don't waste your time.

Schneider is a great goalie, but he's never been a starter and there is still a lot about him that's unknow. Let's not waste all the experience Crawford gained the past 2 seasons. Stay the course with the goaltending and improve the defense.

Not sure why, but my thread on Crawford was deleted. I guess the powers that be won't tolerate criticism of their #1 Goalie??

I agree with the OP. Our goaltending situation was horrendous. I'm seen enough of "3-Goal Corey" giving up soft goals, blowing leads. The teams that are still in it have had exceptional goaltending. We don't have it. To me, it's the most glaring deficiency on this team and needs to be addressed

He let in some softies but our defense hung out to dry quite often which has been the case all year.

Vancouver has a big dilemma - Luongo has a huge contract with many years left. I doubt that he has much trade value because of it. He's not worth the contract. But Schneider is a RFA -- and he will draw interest. Keeping both will not be viable under the cap.

Nothing, he isn't the problem. He didn't have the best year, but I think he is still capable of being a really good goalie in this league.

The top problem in our lineup right now is Jersey #4.

Vancouver has a big dilemma - Luongo has a huge contract with many years left. I doubt that he has much trade value because of it. He's not worth the contract. But Schneider is a RFA -- and he will draw interest. Keeping both will not be viable under the cap.

i know that the Nucks are high on there young prospect Eddie Lack but is he ready to assume the backup role if they decide to let Lou or Schides go this offseason highly unlikley.

Here's an idea !

We trade for LUONGO !!!

Wouldn't that be great?

Nothing, he isn't the problem. He didn't have the best year, but I think he is still capable of being a really good goalie in this league.

No one d-man was the cause of this teams mental lapeses during the season.

Somebody should offer Schneider a sheet for less than 3 million which would required a 2nd rounder as compensation.

Nothing against the guy... but he is 26 and has about sixty games under his belt. He has had the benefit of playing on a very talented team and being a backup. He is 1-4 in the playoffs including an episode of cramping which required him to be helped off. Halak stole two playoff series and almost stole a third, so that set his value. He is without a doubt a risk, though on the Nucks board he is worth any top prospects and/or picks on just about any team.

I would love to see him play 65 games on a team that doesn't fore check or have the talent that the Nucks do...

I agree with the #4. He's been a huge thorn for the Hawks since the start of the 2010-2011 season IMO. We're giving this guy 3.5/year? You've gotta be kidding me. I really think the Hawks should have done everything in their power to keep Buff, I'd hate to think we kept Hjarms over Buff. Almost makes me sick when I think about it. But yea, He's definitely gotta go, I'll eat my shoe if he's still playing for the Hawks next season.

No one d-man was the cause of this teams mental lapeses during the season.

Well, I didn't say he was the lone cause of all our woes, but he is the worst problem in the lineup.

Here's an idea !

We trade for LUONGO !!!

Wouldn't that be great?

Only if Alain Vigneault comes here as well... :P

Goaltending in my opinion, is not the problem. A goalie is only as good as his defence in front of him. When Mike Smith played for Tampa he was a sieve. What about Brian Elliot when he played for the Ottawa Senators. Cory for the most part played very well during regulation time during this series. Compare his performance with that of Marc Andre Fleury, the so-called elite goalie of the Pittsburgh Penguins. When Phoenix players go behind our net and are able to pass the puck to someone in front who is also uncovered they will score everytime. That, my friends is the problem.

If a goalie knows that his defence is weak its got to effect his confidence. I think Mike Smith knew his defence was there for him at all times and making his job much easier.

Even if we get the 1-2 D-men needed to improve our back-end, I still don't have confidence in CC being that guy to keep that lead for us or pull out that 1 goal victory. Unless we can make a major change to make us one of the top offensive threats in the league, I say we have to at least explore the possibility of getting a game changing goalie.

[media]http: monty here for 3 more years? no wonder lindy ruff was always benching him and @#$%^ after monty used to cough up pucks, leddy keith sebs, odoya is a good start, up on the forward lines, please trade sharp to a team that needs a 30 goal scorer for a d-man with a bit of grit and size , i like crow and razor , should be able to hold the fort.

We can't blame our D for those OT goals in games 3 and 4. Letting in that goal in game 3 was bad enough but to repeat that in game 4 was just inexcusable. I dont' see how anyone can feel comfortable with Crawford back there in a playoff series when he lets in goals like that. Plus he gets way out of position too often, leaving the net completely exposed. Our D I thought played well in this series, minus Leddy and Oduya. But you have to have better tending to advance and we don't have it. Crawford had a SV percentage of 80% last night- that won't cut it.

Three things:

(1) Not uncommon for players (especially goalies) to have a difficult year in their sophomore season. If you look at a guy like Howard (and even Niemi for a lot of last year), there is some time to adjust to being a number 1 and going through the league a few more times.

(2) This year's Corey Crawford can easily become next year's Mike Smith or Brian Elliott (and in fact, if this turns out to be a 'bad' year for Corey, it's far better than the down years these guys had).

(3) As others have stated, there's no answer out there right now. And there is no point in making a change for change's sake. And you certainly don't want to pay your goaltending too much more than $5M (combined #1 and #2 goalies) because teams rarely get value for that (and it may not seem like it now, but even the Rinne signing will come back to bite Nsh in the butt).