Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I-miss-Wis

Ask Any Hockey Question

491 posts in this topic

Have a question on the game you always wanted to know? This is the thread for it. I had this thread on another forum and I found it helpful as people could share questions / answers with the community.

I'll start. What is the criteria the NHL uses to credit a player with a 'hit'? We've all seen big hits on the ice at times along with plenty of low intensity/soft ones. The soft ones aren't credited as you would expect so I'm wondering what the threshold is to say that the hit was intense enough to get credit for it. Anyone know?

separating puck from player = hit

But knowing you Fluff, you are going to debate every answer or question.

I think it should be separating helmet from head and if you separate skates from feet it should count as 2 hits.

However, I do believe the dlrob is correct.

How about these related questions?:

True/False

Can:

a) A Jr. eligible player be recalled (other than on an emergency basis) once he has been sent back while not having completed his 10 game trial (Saad.)

b)A Jr. eligible player be called up mid-season if not having started his 10 game trial (collage players can... or must the Jr. trial be only the first 10 games of the season?)

... or is it that:

c)Once sent down a Jr. eligible player can't be recalled/initially-called-up until his Jr. team's season is done ...regardless of trial status.

I suspect the answers are either TTF or FFT.

Can a team actually spend more than the salary cap? The answer may shock you...YES. Which is why the salary cap is a complete joke.

If Gary wanted the thing to work. It would be dollar for dollar. If you front load a guys contract. Then you'll pay on the cap too. And when his hit salary comes down. So does his cap hit.

If the players were smart, and they aren't that dumb. They would keep the current system in place as long as they can. Even if they give up a couple % back to the owners. And only get 52-54% of the revenue. I believe that they are at 57% now!!!

How about these related questions?:

True/False

Can:

a) A Jr. eligible player be recalled (other than on an emergency basis) once he has been sent back while not having completed his 10 game trial (Saad.)

b)A Jr. eligible player be called up mid-season if not having started his 10 game trial (collage players can... or must the Jr. trial be only the first 10 games of the season?)

... or is it that:

c)Once sent down a Jr. eligible player can't be recalled/initially-called-up until his Jr. team's season is done ...regardless of trial status.

I suspect the answers are either TTF or FFT.

Once they are sent down they can only be recalled in an emergency situation in which their team basically runs out of players to put in the position.

Can a team actually spend more than the salary cap? The answer may shock you...YES. Which is why the salary cap is a complete joke.

If Gary wanted the thing to work. It would be dollar for dollar. If you front load a guys contract. Then you'll pay on the cap too. And when his hit salary comes down. So does his cap hit.

If the players were smart, and they aren't that dumb. They would keep the current system in place as long as they can. Even if they give up a couple % back to the owners. And only get 52-54% of the revenue. I believe that they are at 57% now!!!

NHL management had to throw the players "bones" otherwise they never would have agreed to any cap at all... this was one. You don't honestly believe that Gary/managment wouldn't have jumped on it if he/they could have gotten a "dollar for dollar" cap? You're anger is misplaced and should be directed at the NHLPA for the front/back loaded contracts. You're right... the players aren't dumb.

Once they are sent down they can only be recalled in an emergency situation in which their team basically runs out of players to put in the position.

This is what I believed also but couldn't get all situations confirmed.

Morin was sent down during training camp but brought back up for 9 games (as a 19 year old) last Dec while playing for Kitchener (OHL). It suggests that a player only gets 1 shot that must be consecutive... but it doesn't have to be the first 9 of the season.

This is what I believed also but couldn't get all situations confirmed.

Morin was sent down during training camp but brought back up for 9 games (as a 19 year old) last Dec while playing for Kitchener (OHL). It suggests that a player only gets 1 shot that must be consecutive... but it doesn't have to be the first 9 of the season.

Morin spent the entire season last year in Rockford (the 10-11 season, except for his 9 games), the last time he played in the OHL was the 09-10 season. So this is not an example that would cause any confusion towards the answer to your original situation being FFT. Only an emergency situation would allow a player to be recalled after being sent back to junior, or the completion of said junior season.

Morin spent the entire season last year in Rockford (the 10-11 season, except for his 9 games), the last time he played in the OHL was the 09-10 season. So this is not an example that would cause any confusion towards the answer to your original situation being FFT. Only an emergency situation would allow a player to be recalled after being sent back to junior, or the completion of said junior season.

Cap and I had this discussion via PM a few weeks ago, and I was so curious about the "official" answer that I submitted the question here on the Hawks site to "Ask the GM".

The answer I got is exactly what princess said.

A player sent back to Juniors can only be recalled on an emergency basis or at the completion of his junior team's season, regardless of whether he was given his full 10 game try out or not.

Once sent back to Juniors, the amount of try out games completed is moot and will not come into play again until the player is recalled at the end of his junior team's season or until the next regular season begins. The try out games are only used to begin the clock on the first year of a player's contract in the NHL.

Ya... my bad. I saw he'd only played 22 games in Rockford 10/11 after being sent down and assumed without looking that the previous Kitchener stint was the same year. He only got 9 to prevent his ELC from kicking in.

Cap and I had this discussion via PM a few weeks ago, and I was so curious about the "official" answer that I submitted the question here on the Hawks site to "Ask the GM".

The answer I got is exactly what princess said.

A player sent back to Juniors can only be recalled on an emergency basis or at the completion of his junior team's season, regardless of whether he was given his full 10 game try out or not.

Once sent back to Juniors, the amount of try out games completed is moot and will not come into play again until the player is recalled at the end of his junior team's season or until the next regular season begins. The try out games are only used to begin the clock on the first year of a player's contract in the NHL.

This is the impression I had before I misread (and was confused by) the Morin record.

So the answer is FFT.... definitely no Saad until PO.

Ya... my bad. I saw he'd only played 22 games in Rockford 10/11 after being sent down and assumed without looking that the previous Kitchener stint was the same year. He only got 9 to prevent his ELC from kicking in.

This is the impression I had before I misread (and was confused by) the Morin record.

So the answer is FFT.... definitely no Saad until PO.

Or if his team misses the playoffs. He can be recalled then? Correct???

The lack of games played last year was because of the significant injury that he suffered midway through January.

Or if his team misses the playoffs. He can be recalled then? Correct???

The Jr's team just has to be done for the season. If they miss the playoffs... then they're done at the Jr team's regular season's end.

If such is the case with Saad, then we could see him back for the last games of the stretch run or in Rockford if there's no room on the Hawks' roster. Unless deals are made prior (eg TDL) cap space will not be a problem. Either way, with the expanded PO roster and no cap he should be available sometime in (if not at the start) of the post season.

The lack of games played last year was because of the significant injury that he suffered midway through January.

Where was he before the Dec 9 gamer?(Wasn't he still 19 and Jr eligible?) Most trials are at the start of the year... yet his began in Dec which threw me.

Where was he before the Dec 9 gamer?(Wasn't he still 19 and Jr eligible?) Most trials are at the start of the year... yet his began in Dec which threw me.

Morin's first NHL game was against ATL on NOV 6, I was there. The strange thing about Morin's case with his trial is that yes he was 19 and normally should've been only JR eligible. However, I believe that the actual wording of the agreement between the NHL and the JR league only concerns players drafted by junior teams (you probably know this rule better than I do, I'm going off of secondary info) and that are not eligible for the AHL until they reach the age of 20. From the articles I read when this all happened, is that Morin wasn't actually drafted by a junior team and therefore the rule did not apply and he was able to go pro at 19. I believe that the Hawks actually went directly to the NHL to make sure that he was able to play.

Morin's first NHL game was against ATL on NOV 11, I was there. The strange thing about Morin's case with his trial is that yes he was 19 and normally should've been only JR eligible. However, I believe that the actual wording of the agreement between the NHL and the JR league only concerns players drafted by junior teams (you probably know this rule better than I do, I'm going off of secondary info) and that are not eligible for the AHL until they reach the age of 20. From the articles I read when this all happened, is that Morin wasn't actually drafted by a junior team and therefore the rule did not apply and he was able to go pro at 19. I believe that the Hawks actually went directly to the NHL to make sure that he was able to play.

This may be correct but I was unaware of a distinction between "Jr. drafted" and "signed Jr. player agreement" (the latter he would have to have had to play in Kitchener 09/10.)

Morin did play for the US WCJ ...but since he didn't play a 10/11 Jr league game then I'd guess... technically... he'd not "been sent back."

He was still 19 when he joined Rockford in Jan 2011 (turned 20 in April) breaking that rule also.

Where was he between Sept.-Nov.11? Could he somehow have rescinded his Jr agreement? He certainly at least, somehow, "slipped through the cracks" (loopholes.)

The exception that confuses the rule(s).

This may be correct but I was unaware of a distinction between "Jr. drafted" and "signed Jr. player agreement" (the latter he would have to have had to play in Kitchener 09/10.)

Morin did play for the US WCJ ...but since he didn't play a 10/11 Jr league game then I'd guess... technically... he'd not "been sent back."

He was still 19 when he joined Rockford in Jan 2011 (turned 20 in April) breaking that rule also.

Where was he between Sept.-Nov.11? Could he somehow have rescinded his Jr agreement? He certainly at least, somehow, "slipped through the cracks" (loopholes.)

The exception that confuses the rule(s).

Just did some research and found this http://www.icehogs.com/team/stats/ select the 10-11 season from the drop down and then you can select Jeremy Morin, to see this:

"Made his professional and IceHogs debut on 10/9/10 against Manitoba"

So he opened the season with Rockford. I also checked the IceHogs schedule from last season and there were 39 games played until he got injured. His last game played was 1/15/10 against the Wolves. If you include the WJC and his stint with the Hawks 22 games played for Rockford is a reasonable number for him to have played.

In reference to Junior eligibility, I honestly don't know that much. I am merely going off of what I remember from the articles that I read when this was all going on with Morin.

If a player so chooses can he wear a full face shield/cage in the NHL or do you need a medical reason for that?

edit: I looked it up, you must have a medical reason to wear a full shield/cage. The NHL considers it dangerous/illegal equipment if no injury exists.

Local media decides the 3 stars of the game.

Does that include Barry Rozner? :(

Local media decides the 3 stars of the game.

That makes sense then - I thought it would be more statistical but sometimes the stars seem to go to players based on emotions or "let's give it to this guy tonight cause he never gets one" (i.e. seeing John Scott getting a star for the game the other night had me scratching my head).

here's a rather dumb question, but if a team pulled their goalie and a forward had a breakaway on an empty net and he got hauled down from behind, would he get to take a penalty shot on an open net?

and just out of curiousity, has anybody ever witnessed something like this?

here's a rather dumb question, but if a team pulled their goalie and a forward had a breakaway on an empty net and he got hauled down from behind, would he get to take a penalty shot on an open net?

and just out of curiousity, has anybody ever witnessed something like this?

I think that forward would be awarded a goal instead of going thru the motions of having the player take a penalty shot on a empty net.

I think that forward would be awarded a goal instead of going thru the motions of having the player take a penalty shot on a empty net.

This is correct. It's an automatic goal.