The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks
Big-T

Stan As Gm

rinkrat20 said on 43 minutes ago:

What does the team do IF Debrincat, Joker, Boqvist, and Schmaultz indeed all ARE the real deal? How can the team afford to keep all of them with their cap situation? That’s why I say this whole rebuild thing is impossible with the current contracts that are on the books are probably not movable, other than Keith’s who you pointed out. 

Look at how Vancouver is doing it. When those kids rookie deals are up, they will be able to afford to keep them and have them be the future. That is a true rebuild. The Hawks don’t have that luxury and that’s why I stated before, I’ve never seen such a mess. Not good enough to be a playoff team, but the cap is structured like they are a playoff team. 

And the kicker is this - I think this current team will get better here soon, just enough to not make the playoffs but at the same time, not get a top 5 pick, (unless they get really lucky in the draft lottery). While we would all probably prefer heaven - a legit contender, or hell, a total strip down rebuild, we get neither. Purgatory.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens the next few years for sure. I hope I’m wrong but it sure looks like purgatory for 3-5 years, then hell for another 3-5 years, and then MAYBE some light at the end of the tunnel depending on how they draft. 

Good question -- it will all depend on if Bowman can move out big contracts by the time he has to re-sign them. He has time of Joker and Boqvist, but Schmaltz is an RFA next year. I've always said that this team isn't big enough for both Debrincat and Schmaltz in the top six; and if I'm picking one, I'd have to pick Debrincat. Use Schmaltz as maybe a sweetner to move a big contract at the deadline and go from there. But yeah, either way, it will be hard to sign these guys if the big contracts are immovable.

I must admit that I was glad Seabrook was re-signed, but a lot of people were not -- and I was wrong there. On the flip side, I wasn't pleased when Crawford was signed to 6 million. Blaming Bowman for those two contracts is fair. I will say though, personally, that I can't necessarily blame him for the Toews and Kane contracts, even though they will stymie us moving forward. I was glad they were retained and that is the price you pay for winning multiple Cups. His NMC's though were way too generous; he even gave Kunitz a NMC this year.

Granada said on 14 minutes ago:

Good question -- it will all depend on if Bowman can move out big contracts by the time he has to re-sign them. He has time of Joker and Boqvist, but Schmaltz is an RFA next year. I've always said that this team isn't big enough for both Debrincat and Schmaltz in the top six; and if I'm picking one, I'd have to pick Debrincat. Use Schmaltz as maybe a sweetner to move a big contract at the deadline and go from there. But yeah, either way, it will be hard to sign these guys if the big contracts are immovable.

I must admit that I was glad Seabrook was re-signed, but a lot of people were not -- and I was wrong there. On the flip side, I wasn't pleased when Crawford was signed to 6 million. Blaming Bowman for those two contracts is fair. I will say though, personally, that I can't necessarily blame him for the Toews and Kane contracts, even though they will stymie us moving forward. I was glad they were retained and that is the price you pay for winning multiple Cups. His NMC's though were way too generous; he even gave Kunitz a NMC this year.

The Seabrook signing was for reasonable money, but the term is ridiculous. Crawford contract didn’t bother me as much. Money was ok and term wasn’t bad. As far as Toews and Kane, probably 1-2 mil more per guy than what he had to do IMO. Crosby gets less. Malkin gets less. Ovechkin gets less. Stamkos gets less. Etc etc. 

That 1-2 mil more per guy could be an extra 2-4 mil of cap space they could have right now. And that is large. 

Edited by rinkrat20

rinkrat20 said on 15 minutes ago:

The Seabrook signing was for reasonable money, but the term is ridiculous. Crawford contract didn’t bother me as much. Money was ok and term wasn’t bad. As far as Toews and Kane, probably 1-2 mil more per guy than what he had to do IMO. Crosby gets less. Malkin gets less. Ovechkin gets less. Stamkos gets less. Etc etc. 

That 1-2 mil more per guy could be an extra 2-4 mil of cap space they could have right now. And that is large. 

You can’t compare the Crosby and Malkin contracts, Pitts took advantage of what the Hawks took advantage off and signed those players to 12 year contracts front loaded as we did with Keith and Hoosa, that’s why they have such good cap hits. 

In the case of Stamkos how many championships did he lead the team to, that’s right zero, as far as Ovi last year was his first cup but before that he disappeared in almost every playoff series hence why they never one. Kane is making the right salary, he has been busting out points year in year out, scoring timely goals, and except for the Breadman really hasn’t had much support down the middle or on the wing. Tazer should be around 9.

Talking about those salaries and what the team could possibly save is ridiculous, Stan would of somehow given that extra money to someone else or went dumpster diving and given it to another Kunitz clone.

Edited by hawkinmontreal

hawkinmontreal said on 6 hours ago:

You can’t compare the Crosby and Malkin contracts, Pitts took advantage of what the Hawks took advantage off and signed those players to 12 year contracts front loaded as we did with Keith and Hoosa, that’s why they have such good cap hits. 

In the case of Stamkos how many championships did he lead the team to, that’s right zero, as far as Ovi last year was his first cup but before that he disappeared in almost every playoff series hence why they never one. Kane is making the right salary, he has been busting out points year in year out, scoring timely goals, and except for the Breadman really hasn’t had much support down the middle or on the wing. Tazer should be around 9.

Talking about those salaries and what the team could possibly save is ridiculous, Stan would of somehow given that extra money to someone else or went dumpster diving and given it to another Kunitz clone.

We can agree to disagree. IMO 10.5 for each of those guys is too much.