Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

britishenglish

Mailing Autographs

112 posts in this topic

Way back in April I sent a Toews 8x10 to the mailing address listed on the site in hopes of getting back an autograph. I still haven't gotten back and was wondering if anyone else has been waiting for their mail this long?

The problem is, I live in Canada and have no contacts in the US, so I couldn't buy a stamp for the return envelope. The post office here gave me a little sheet of paper that cost 4 dollars than can apparently be traded in at a post office in the US for a stamp to send to Canada (in typical Canadian fashion, they gave me the French paper with a tiny English translation on the back - good thing Toews speaks French). Another concern I have is the mailbox I threw it in: I'm not sure how often the mail is taken out of it, because it was kind of in an awkward location - so I have no idea when the envelope was actually sent.

In September I called the Blackhawks customer service line and was told that all mail goes directly to the players and they send it out themselves. Considering I also included a hand-written letter, I'm thinking (hoping?) Toews wouldn't toss an 8x10 in the trash just because of some stamp issue. I know I sent it at a busy time and by that point he probably didn't bother with any autographs until the season was over, and I really have no estimation as to how much mail these players actually get.

Sorry for that long explanation. Basically I'm wondering, has anyone else had similar problems? Do you think the 8x10 will ever reappear in my mailbox?

I used to send autographs to several celebrities and even ones that were known for sending stuff back, I sometimes didn't get back. I sent Steven Spielberg a JAWS cover back in 2007 and still nothing. lol It's just what happens sometimes.

I know Toews and Sharpie are known for sending stuff back. I would assume since you did send it at a busy time, he may have not have directly thrown it away, but it probably got tossed aside with his other fan mail.

Honestly, I would just try again. It's disappointing, but sometimes it happens.

Good luck next time around! Hope you get something back!

I've been mailing out autograph requests for about 7 years and 25% of the stuff hasn't come back. It's the risk you take sending things in the mail; but it's a fun, cheap hobby.

Way back in April I sent a Toews 8x10 to the mailing address listed on the site in hopes of getting back an autograph. I still haven't gotten back and was wondering if anyone else has been waiting for their mail this long?

The problem is, I live in Canada and have no contacts in the US, so I couldn't buy a stamp for the return envelope. The post office here gave me a little sheet of paper that cost 4 dollars than can apparently be traded in at a post office in the US for a stamp to send to Canada (in typical Canadian fashion, they gave me the French paper with a tiny English translation on the back - good thing Toews speaks French). Another concern I have is the mailbox I threw it in: I'm not sure how often the mail is taken out of it, because it was kind of in an awkward location - so I have no idea when the envelope was actually sent.

In September I called the Blackhawks customer service line and was told that all mail goes directly to the players and they send it out themselves. Considering I also included a hand-written letter, I'm thinking (hoping?) Toews wouldn't toss an 8x10 in the trash just because of some stamp issue. I know I sent it at a busy time and by that point he probably didn't bother with any autographs until the season was over, and I really have no estimation as to how much mail these players actually get.

Sorry for that long explanation. Basically I'm wondering, has anyone else had similar problems? Do you think the 8x10 will ever reappear in my mailbox?

I sent one in July. I remember the old thread and I can't remember her screenname but she sent it in March and only got it back in July. I can only imagine as the team got further into the playoffs the more auto requests they got. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure he's signing as much stuff as he can.

I don't know about the IRC though, I was worried about that so I just went to the US for the day and mailed it off there with the correct amount of postage (the woman did it for me). The only thing I was afraid of was she needed a return address on the SASE, so I just put my address again cause I figured what would the Hawks do with my 8x10? I'm hoping it's no big deal, and awaiting my 8x10 as well.

a lot of the blackhawks sign through the United Center address. I find more addresses at sportscollectors.net . It's free or $14.99 a year. You can look at recent successes for all the major sports, and the free one you can see only the past two weeks. Usually people will include the address then send to, so if that's all you're looking for you can get by witha free membership.

Thanks for the input everyone. :) I'll keep hoping that it shows up, but I have the added bonus of having at least two things for me get lost in the mail in the past six months...joy.

So on a similar topic. I am a huge fan of Shane Doan of the Phoenix Coyotes (yes i am that one person you see at Coyotes games at the UC wearing his jersey :-P) well being that i don't exactly live in phoenix i have very little chances to grab an autograph from him. So what i did was emailed several people in the Coyotes organization asking if there is a way to obtain an autograph from him. I was eventually messaged back from a member of management and told if i mailed it to them with return postage label enclosed that they would make sure that he signed it and it was sent back. Well i now own a very nicely SIGNED Shane Doan jersey :)

The point is try something similar to what i did and email someone in the oganization. It may take several emails and take a while but its a good strategy

my 2 cents :

- rather than buying an unsigned item (photo etc) and then mailing it to the player just purchase a signed item to begin with......often cheaper, can be certified, no hassles.....only 1 shipping fee vs 2 etc.

- if you are sending something send it to the agent

my 2 cents :

- rather than buying an unsigned item (photo etc) and then mailing it to the player just purchase a signed item to begin with......often cheaper, can be certified, no hassles.....only 1 shipping fee vs 2 etc.

I agree sending to the agent works very well, especially for high profile players who get thousands of requests via the team. That's how I got Ovechkin, well, back when he had an agent. I pretty much just send trading cards which are cheap, plentiful, and only cost 88 cents round trip. And a lot of players that have time to read the letters will put a nice personalization on the item, which is very cool.

my 2 cents :

I actually work at a sports store so I can buy framed and signed photos with my discount. Unfortunately we only have one Toews one, and it's over $300 at its regular price. Even with the expensive postage and big envelopes I needed to buy, sending the 8x10 out cost me around $20. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) I have a couple of other framed photos like that and they do look very nice.

I agree sending to the agent works very well, especially for high profile players who get thousands of requests via the team. That's how I got Ovechkin, well, back when he had an agent. I pretty much just send trading cards which are cheap, plentiful, and only cost 88 cents round trip. And a lot of players that have time to read the letters will put a nice personalization on the item, which is very cool.

I actually caught the hat he was wearing at the '09 ASG. I read on Twitter he didn't want a Canadian flag but a Russian one (which he couldn't find), so I bought the exact same hat (I knew exactly from which store he got it) and I tracked down a Russian flag last summer (hard to find in Montreal apparently!) and I sent it off to him as a joke gift in July not long after I sent the Toews 8x10. I wonder if Ovi will get the package! Of course really not expecting anything from Ovi, just thought it would have been funny to send it in.

I emailed a blackhawks puck to 10 blackhawks from last year's team with a metalic silver sharpy, a letter of request, and a SASE. I sent it out at the beginning of October. I got Kopecky and Hammer's puck back signed. Still waiting on the other 8 :) Keep in mind though, they only sign the pucks when they are at the United Center. So all the days on the road means they can;t sign it. Also, doubtful that they have system on what gets signed 1st. Could be that your package could have been signed that day then they pile more request envelopes that just came in on top of yours.

I emailed a blackhawks puck to 10 blackhawks from last year's team with a metalic silver sharpy, a letter of request, and a SASE. I sent it out at the beginning of October. I got Kopecky and Hammer's puck back signed. Still waiting on the other 8 :) Keep in mind though, they only sign the pucks when they are at the United Center. So all the days on the road means they can;t sign it. Also, doubtful that they have system on what gets signed 1st. Could be that your package could have been signed that day then they pile more request envelopes that just came in on top of yours.

So do you just send it attn: whatever player at 1900 w . madison?

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm really looking to get Duncan Keith to sign something for me anybody have any luck mailing him anything?

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm really looking to get Duncan Keith to sign something for me anybody have any luck mailing him anything?

I would go thru his agent-

Agent:

Ross Gurney

Company:

R.W.G. Sport Management Ltd.

3549 West 33rd Avenue

Vancouver, British Columbia

V6N 2H3

CANADA Contact Information:

Phone: 604-733-8491

Fax: 604-733-8492

Cell: 360-318-5331

Email: rossgurney@shaw.ca

I made sure to get Toews during his rookie year when not that many people were in the stands and almost no one outside of the Chicago fan base knew who he was.

I wish you the best of luck in getting that autograph though!

I made sure to get Toews during his rookie year when not that many people were in the stands and almost no one outside of the Chicago fan base knew who he was.

I wish you the best of luck in getting that autograph though!

Yeah I was gonna try to get him when they came to Montreal a few years ago but I didn't end up doing it. It was only until recently I had decided to try through the mail, and I heard that he was pretty quick - about a 3 month turn around and it's only been since last year's playoffs that it's taken longer. I'm sure it'll come it I'm just eager to get it. Plus, I really wanted a SCF picture to be signed, it's gonna look great.

Yeah I was gonna try to get him when they came to Montreal a few years ago but I didn't end up doing it. It was only until recently I had decided to try through the mail, and I heard that he was pretty quick - about a 3 month turn around and it's only been since last year's playoffs that it's taken longer. I'm sure it'll come it I'm just eager to get it. Plus, I really wanted a SCF picture to be signed, it's gonna look great.

That will be a nice item to own!

I made sure to get Toews during his rookie year when not that many people were in the stands and almost no one outside of the Chicago fan base knew who he was.I wish you the best of luck in getting that autograph though!

?????? hockey fans and certainly Canadians knew who he was years before he was drafted.

?????? hockey fans and certainly Canadians knew who he was years before he was drafted.

I should have said Americans. I don't know any Americans who knew who Toews was until very recently (last couple of years, and some only know him from the Stanley Cup). Maybe I don't have the right friends. Also before millions of teenage girls saw his face and thought he was cute

I would go thru his agent-

Agent:

Ross Gurney

Company:

R.W.G. Sport Management Ltd.

3549 West 33rd Avenue

Vancouver, British Columbia

V6N 2H3

CANADA Contact Information:

Phone: 604-733-8491

Fax: 604-733-8492

Cell: 360-318-5331

Email: rossgurney@shaw.ca

Do you know the best way to get in contact with Brouwer?

Thanks!

Anyone receive anything yet? Still waiting on Toews.. been 7 months since I sent my photo off.

Nothing here...it's been 10 months. I also missed the opportunity to try and get any autographs the last time the Hawks were in Edmonton.

I'm actually going to Chicago at the end of the season though. Anyone know of the best way to get autographs before or after home games?

Getting Blackhawks magazines whenever I go down to Chicago, they have the address enclosed in the back in the middle of a bunch of information. They say: Anyone wishing to write a Chicago Blackhawks player may do so by sending a letter to the attention of the player to: Chicago Blackhawks

1901 W. Madison St.

Chicago, IL 60612

Hope I helped :)